Saturday 9 August 2014

Deer in Toronto: An August Trip down the Humber River


Every summer, I look forward to a chance to take a kayak down the Humber River, south of Bloor Street in Toronto. The Humber is the city's best wildlife corridor, and never fails to reveal an amazing array of animals and birds. 

An Osprey hawk in flight in Toronto, August 9th, 2014This year, as soon as I headed out from the Old Mill launch , I spotted an Osprey fishing in the river, easily seen from the subway line. The Osprey hovered, then dove down to catch a fish, and even floated on the water for a while. Of course, all of this occurred before I could get my camera out. Later on, I found the Osprey again in one of the lower marshes. This is the second time I have seen an Osprey along the Humber this year, so it appears one has made this area its home.

My favourite spots along the river are the marshes that have formed on the eastern side. The first of these marshes has a narrow opening that curves northward to reveal a lagoon filled with lily pads. A Great Blue Heron was fishing in one the open breaks among the plants. 

A Great Blue Heron in a marsh beside the Humber River in Toronto.


As I drifted away from the heron, I was hoping to see a turtle somewhere. However, I caught some movement on shore, and found myself looking into the eyes of a white-tailed deer. I have seen deer along the river before, and it never ceases to amaze me that a city as big and busy as Toronto still has a few deer living along this thin green corridor. I only wish we had left more of the city green so there could be more room for them to roam.
A white-tailed deer in Toronto, spotted on August 9th, 2014


Later on, I went down to the second, larger marsh, where I came across what's left of a cormorant rookery. In years past, this nesting area was much bigger and busier. This is where the cormorants raise their young earlier in the summer. The trees are dead due to the toxic effect of the birds' feces. Further north, I spotted a few new trees that had been taken over by the birds. They, too, will end up dead, the price trees pay for being good places to nest.




All in all, it was a wonderful morning on the water. If you are interesting in renting a kayak to go down the Humber, I used The Toronto Adventures Company, whose prices are quite reasonable. I highly recommend taking the time to do a trip.I have found with lots of stops, I can get down to the lake and back in two hours.  It is a wonderful way to see Toronto's wildlife up close. 

- Stephen Milton, of www.torontonature.com.

If you would like to get a free nature picture every day, sign up for the Toronto Nature Diary on Facebook.















No comments:

Post a Comment